Saturday, June 27, 2009

100 Laps of Pump.

I did my first 100 laps on the pump track at the Lyons Bike Park today.

Procedure (adapted from leelikesbikes.com):
Ride 10 laps and take time split.
Rest until heart rate drops below 145.
Switch directions and repeat until 10 sets have been completed.
The last two sets were each 10 figures eight.

Bike Setup, track condition:
Blue Steel, fork locked out with light threshold, flat pedals.
Well worn Maxxis Ardent 2.25 @ 35psi front, Maxxis High Roller 2.35 @ 45psi rear.
Moderate bumps in north berms, ruts between one pair of rollers, dry after recent rain fall, slightly loose surface.

Summary:
Total time: 31:58.2
Ave. HR: 172bpm
Max. HR: 189bpm
Calories burned: 525
I took about 50 seconds of rest between sets.
3-4 miles distance, 1300 bumps and berms.

Splits:
2:43.2 CCW
2:47.5 CW
3:19.4 CCW
2:55.9 CW
3:15.2 CCW
3:14.7 CW
3:06.9 CCW
3:12.8 CW
3:47.8 (figure eight)
3:35.1 (figure eight)

Conclusion:
This is soooooooo much better than doing intervals on a hill or the road. I'd like work on pace and get more consistent times. My rest periods didn't seem to get any longer toward the end of the session, though concentration became more difficult.

I was so pumped afterward that I rode up one of the agro lines on the Rock Pyramid without pedaling. I also spent some time hitting the jumps on both Blue Steel and Peppermint Swirl, my 16" bike. I've done better with the table tops in the past, though I have gotten much better at the first step up. Super fun day.

2 comments:

Lee said...

Right on!

Will McDonald = Current World Endurance Pump Champion

Lianna said...

Oh, it's on.